Tuesday 3 November 2009

All Souls Day


Today is All Souls Day, when the Catholic Church honors the dead. In our church they have a special Mass where the names of those who have died in the past year are read aloud and relatives are invited to light a candle for the deceased person.

Other countries have much more interesting ways of celebrating, especially Mexico where the Day of the Dead can be quite a celebration.

I received a letter from our church inviting me to this Mass and a supper to follow. At first, I was not going to go because I had to work, but then I thought about the priest reading his name and having no one there to remember him. Not entirely rational thinking, I know.

So now I'm going, and just be a little late to work. I'll have to skip the supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment