Tuesday 1 June 2010

When I Grow Up...

I'm trying to blog every day this month, so far so good. NaBloPoMo is offering " writing prompts" to give, we, or is it us, bloggers food for thought. Today's is:

When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I never had a clue about what I wanted to be when I grew up until after I grew up.

I liked science in elementary school. I remember having a chemistry set, but most of the experiments required heating something with a candle and my mother hid the matches. I also remember making some type of barometer with modeling clay and ink, real ink like for fountain pens, the kind that stains permanently. It didn't end well.

When I went to college the first time at age 18, all my friends were going to be teachers so I thought why not and graduated with BS in biology, teaching. The best thing about college was all the fun I had and meeting Richard.

We got married, he became a teacher, and I had the kids. Richard was a great teacher, it was his life's work and he was very good at it.

Eventually in search of a "mindless" job to get me out of the house, I got a job as a CNA in our small local hospital. I was inspired by the nurses I worked with to eventually go to nursing school where I found my life's work. Better late than never!

Today I started a new job as a nurse practitioner in public health. I'm excited to be excited about going to work and doing something new. I haven't felt that since Richard died and I guess that's a hopeful sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment